Links: Building Resources & Suppliers
The Crab Claw:
- Proafile: A site all
about Polynesian proas and the different sails they use including the crab
- Sail Performance
by C. A. Marchaj: This book presents scientific explanations of how
sailboat work and why including investigations into many different types of
sails including the crab claw. I used one of the sail patterns
investigated in this book for my sail.
- Proa File International
Yahoo Group: This yahoo group is devoted to discussions on proas and is
a good resource for information on the crab claw.
Kabua's Riwuit: A site with plans for a kind of model proa that uses a
crab claw sail.
Raw Material & Hardware Suppliers:
- McMaster-Carr: All kinds of
industrial supplies, raw materials and hardware. If you need it, they
- Annapolis Performance Sailing:
Sailing hardware (pulleys, cleats, rigging, etc...)
- Layline: High tech rope and other
- Sailrite: Sail and trampoline making
materials and tools
- National Balsa: A site that
caters to model builders, they have a large selection of basswood and balsa
wood that can be very useful.
- US Composites: Carbon fiber and
- Por-Guys: Excellent, rock hard, one
and two part paints and varnishes.
- Murrays.com: The biggest mail order
catamaran supplier around.
- M.L. Condon Co. Inc. 250 Fen-is Ave., White Plains NY 10603. Phone: 914-946-4111. Many types of Marine plywood and hundreds of varieties of solid wood. Free color catalog.
(No web site here but if you are in the New York/Connecticut area, this is a
great lumber yard where I got my plywood and Sitka spruce.)
- Small Boats: Yahoo
group devoted to theory and design of small boats.
- Sail Design: Yahoo
group devoted to sail/rig design & construction.
- Duckworks: The online
magazine for amateur boat builders.
To contact me write to firstname.lastname@example.org